Translate

Wednesday, April 15, 2009



Number 506



Readin' is important


I haven't shown a Superkatt* story before; this is from Giggle Comics #54, June 1948. Dan Gordon was another of the group of moonlighting animators who provided the funny animal strips for Giggle and Ha Ha Comics. They didn't write down to their young readers. For the most part these comics were probably bought and read by parents to young children, but because of the skill level of the artists the comics are raised to a level where parents could also enjoy reading them.

I loved the cucumber gag on the first page. My dirty mind saw something the artist probably didn't intend. Oh well, it's funnier to me the way I see it.











*I have no idea what makes this "katt" super.

6 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

It's the artwork, Pappy!

What a wonderfully illustrated story. This is the kind of thing that's missing these days. Thank god for DC's current Scooby Doo (by Joe Staton) and Looney Tunes titles. Along with the still very nice Archie Comics stuff, they are about the only reminders that this kind of comic used to ALSO be available on the stands for kids of all ages.

Pappy said...

This was the sort of thing I read when I first read comics: Dell Four-Color comics, Harvey, animated titles from all companies. My tastes broadened over the years, of course, but it was this sort of funny animal comic that got me into comics in the first place. They were my gateway drug into a lifelong addiction...Lord have mercy...

Booksteve said...

Hey, that was funny! I mean REALLY funny! Wasn't expecting that!

Doug Gray said...

Great story, Pappy, thanks!

p spector said...

Gordon is so darn good and so darn prolific. The amount of his output in funny animal comics is staggering. IIRC, I don't believe that Gordon was moonlighting during the time he drew comics, but that he actually left the animation industry for well over a decade, before eventually taking a job again in the industry with Hanna-Barbera.

Sherm said...

Wow Pappy! Thanks for the Dan Gordon comics...he's always wonderful, and I haven't seen this Superkatt story before.