Translate

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Number 1238: Sea Devils sing-a-long with Circe


I was disappointed when artist Russ Heath left Sea Devils after issue #10. He and editor/writer Robert Kanigher had created the characters for Showcase, and after a brief tryout the regular series began in 1961. Heath, one of my favorite artists of all time, was the reason I bought and read the comic book.

This story, from Sea Devils #3 (1962), is one that sticks out in my mind from my original reading. In my adolescent eyes Circe was pretty hot, Comics Code or not. Wouldn’t you love to own the original art for the splash page or cover?

Something I like about Kanigher’s comics is that girls and women figure in, not just as eye candy but significant characters. Judy is a strong and resourceful woman, and of course the jocks she swims around with don’t appreciate her enough.













6 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

I loved those early Sea Devils issues by Heath myself. A series like this would never fly in today's market, but that's progress for you!

TheUUShadow said...

The Sea Devils, along with Cave Carson, and Rip Hunter, are characters that I wish could survive in this increasingly depressing modern era of comics.

Pappy said...

Both Chuck and UUShadow expressed doubts that the Sea Devils could exist in today's market. It makes me happy to be able to present a story like this so today's fans can see it and make their own comparisons.

jojopig.com said...

thanks for sharing full comics. great posts. nice blog.

John said...

Thanks for posting these scans. The early Sea Devils issues had some of the best art and best stories from the Silver Age. I wish you would post scans from the last 1/3 of Sea Devils #8. It is my favorite Sea Devils issue and one of my favorite comics of all time! if only DC would bring back Sea Devils, Rip Hunter, etc....

ellede said...

Thanks for posting this! It's the only Sea Devils story I had, and I too loved Circe and the serpent - I was a little girl at the time. It was fun to find it again. :)