Translate

Monday, August 30, 2010


Number 799


"If I could talk to the animals..."


Here's a curious and yet poignant story from Forbidden Worlds #58, 1957. A bunch of talking animals strike out on the own, for better or worse, after losing their "master," Dr. Dolittle...errrrr, I mean Dr. Marlin.

This doesn't strike me as a typical ACG story, and maybe it was written by someone other than editor Richard E. Hughes, who is reputed to have written all the content for ACG's post-Comics Code titles.

It's well drawn, too, but the Grand Comics Database doesn't give credit.

Any story with gorillas named Steve and Lola is aces with me.








3 comments:

Mark Armstrong said...

Quite poignant. What would you do as an animal?

One night a while back, I had a dream in which I had become a cat, and faced the same sort of situation these animals faced. I ended up doing what the dog did.

Then, a few weeks back, I sent an account of the dream to Jesse Reklaw who does "Slow Wave," a strip based on dreams people send him. He did my dream in 4-panels, presented in the July 24, 2010 installment of his online strip.

If you'd like to read my "I Was A Cat" dream rendered as a 4-panel strip, the url is here:

http://www.slowwave.com/index.php?date=10-07-24

(I'd make it a clickable link, but I guess the blogging software is not permitting it because of spammers.)

Pappy said...

Very cool, Mark. I'm a fan of Reklaw's Slow Wave. Thanks for sending this.

Here is a clickable link to your Slow Wave.

Mr. Cavin said...

I have some trouble buying the idea that a city police officer would shoot an eagle to save a pigeon. I sense the story needed to be foreshortened a little at that point, and it's a little too bad. The rest of this is solid gold, and another, richer fate for the bird would have made this four-part story nearly perfect.