Translate

Sunday, August 01, 2010


Number 782


Science Fiction Week: Amazing Adventures #3


This August I'm doing themes for four weeks. I'm kicking off my theme month with a Science Fiction Week.

First up, Amazing Adventures #3, from 1951, a Ziff-Davis publication that is pulp all the way through. Four different stories, all of them with familiar pulp themes: people shrinking, body transference, a disembodied brain gone amok, and space opera. The futuristic stories have the usual guys in capes and skintight costumes, and chicks in bikinis! Really, what more does a fan want? Oh yeah...and a painted cover by Norm Saunders, which packages it nicely.

The only other art credit the Grand Comics Database lists is "Parker" for the first story. That would probably be Paul Parker.

Tomorrow, Science Fiction Week continues with John Buscema, drawing a 1959 tale that swipes a famous story.


































5 comments:

Tamfos said...

That first story, the one signed Parker? I'm pretty sure that's the work of Paul Parker who did quite a bit of work for Lev Gleason. A sharp cartoonist, he ended up as a radio reporter for 1010 WINS news radio in NYC from 1965 until well into the 80's. He allegedly left sketches at the scenes of fires, or water-main bursts, or wherever he was reporting from. Hell of a voice, too.

All that aside, thanks for this great post! I love the idea of it and look forward to the rest of the week.

Pappy said...

I recognize the name Paul Parker from ME Comics in the 1948 period when he did Mr. Zinn the Hatchet Killer in The Killers #1 and #2. At that time his work reminded me of a Milton Caniff style.

Nice to know what he did after comic books! Radio announcer, huh...you just never know.

tristan said...

The second story seems to be drawed by Dan Barry and inked by anybody else.
Good post.

Smurfswacker said...

I stumbled across this 2010 post in the last hours of 2017. I hope Tamfos is still listening.

I'm a fan of Paul Parker's art and I've found it nearly impossible to find information about him. Tamfos, if you're there, can you provide me with some information or links or whatever about his career, especially how he transitioned from comics artist to radio reporter?

I guess this makes two comic book radio personalities. Pat Boyette had a long radio career in Texas.

vgmclassics said...

I’ve concluded that Paul Parker is the Paul Parker born in Millville, New Jersey in 1926, and died in 2002.

https://www.comics.org/creator/10331/