Translate

Friday, April 09, 2010


Number 716


"Shadows, shadows..."


Back in the '80s when I sold comic books through Comics Buyer's Guide I photocopied some of them before sending them off to their new owner. It depended on the availability of a copy machine; I mostly used one at work and hoped I wouldn't get caught. While copying this violent comic I worried my boss would come in the door of the copy room and yell, "WHAT THE HELL KIND OF SICK SH*T IS THIS?!" I was lucky that time. I didn't get busted.

Here's some of the sick sh*t: vampires, werewolves, undead corpses, dismembered limbs, internal organs, domestic violence, hangings...even a hatchet to the side of a guy's head. All in noirish black and white. What's missing in black and white is red blood. When I looked at the photocopies I thought of a line from the John Prine song, "Lake Marie:" "You know what blood looks like in a black and white video? Shadows, shadows...that's exactly what it looks like."



































7 comments:

THE APOCOLYTE said...

1st story: Um, when vampires attack you with a knife, isn't that considered cheating? Man, talk about having the odds against you!

Cudos to you for copying the comics, even if they are in B&W. I am still kicking myself for all the great comics I sold with nary a copy, scan, or photo left to remember them by...sniff, sniff, whimper...

Unknown said...

nice one..

http://akshaychugh.blogspot.com

Pappy said...

Well, Apoco...I may have scanned or photocopied some of the comics I sold, but not all. And some of the scans are too poor to use, as are some of the photocopies. They will occasionally pop up here, but I don't want to inflict a lot of it on you because they just aren't worth it.

I really, really miss the comics Ibis the Invincible #1, Plastic Man In the Game Of Death, several EC Comics, many Dell Four Color Comics, etc., etc. The list of comics I let go over the years is long and depressing so I'll stop now because falling tears will short out my keyboard.

Mr. Karswell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Karswell said...

Man this is a top notch issue. The Mys Adv series really gave EC a grueling run for it's money in some of these later issues... I'm glad you posted all of it as this is one of the harder ones from this series to find (affordably.) GCD says "Dick Beck?" on Chef's Delight but I have to wonder if Hy Fleishman didn't have a hand in this one... I'll run it by Bobbie.

And in a weird turn of events, Eerie Pub's Terror Tales #V6#5 (Oct 1974) has a totally toned down remake of Ghoulash retitled as "Vampire-Ghouls." I thought Myron's remakes were supposed to be MORE gory than the golden era originals? haha. The art on the remake is kind of cool though, looks like someone loosely aping Jack Davis or Nostrand.

Mykal Banta said...

Pappy: That first story is just so awesome. You have to love Elaine's jaunty, saucy attitude. "you're mine! Every corpusle!" and "Start asking, fellas." What a cool girl - well, if she wasn't a knife-welding vampire, that is. Also, "Ah, that hits the spot!"

Great scans - er, copies. I can just see you skulking into the copy room! -- Mykal

Unknown said...

Ha! As predictable as that first one was, it was like going to Hawai'i. You know you're going to Hawai'i, but that doesn't mean getting there and being there isn't just as much fun.