Translate

Thursday, December 25, 2008


Number 441


The Christmasochist Tree


MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYBODY! I hope you're having a great day with family and friends.

To animation and comic book fans anthropomorphism is a given; we expect to see animals and objects made human. What we don't expect is when the anthropomorphism goes against human nature. For instance, in this story from Santa Claus Funnies #1 from 1942, drawn by Walt Kelly and adapted from Hans Christian Andersen, the tree doesn't mind being chopped down in its prime; doesn't mind being turned into firewood after being used as a decoration. That's sick, people.

Maybe it's just me. I'm presuming how I'd feel under the circumstances. Who am I to tell Hans Christian Andersen how to tell a story?

For another Christmas story by Kelly, including anthropomorphic critters, go to Pappy's #72.










2 comments:

tom said...

Thanks for posting that. I was wondering how they were going to handle the ending. I remember the original story ending on a sadder note.

Vince M said...

Have a Happy Christmas, Pappy!

Thanks for so many great pieces of comic book art all year long.