Translate

Friday, November 28, 2008


Number 422



Two by Stanley


We've got a double dose of John Stanley today. I woke up Monday morning and said, "I've got to see some Walt Kelly and some Stanley this week," so here we are. Check back to Monday's posting for the Kelly.

Sluggo is a character just made for Stanley. He's the kid who makes it by himself, an orphan in a big world. He's also hated by his neighbor, Mr. McOnion. The story is from Tip Top Comics #220, 1959.

I got the Heckle and Jeckle story from Gold Key's Mighty Mouse #172, dated 1980, but it's reprinted from a 1960 comic. I think Stanley got the essence of the characters very well. The panel of the guy in bed with a bugle caught me by surprise. How did Stanley come up with this stuff? Not only in this strip, but over and over again, story by story, comic book by comic book, year after year. What an amazing writer John Stanley was.















3 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

Thanks for the great John Stanley comics. Your site is consistently awesome.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday ...

Pappy said...

Thanks for the kind words, FK! Anyone who likes Pappy's will love your site. Check out the link for Fortress of Fortitude.

Frank M. Young said...

Hm! I didn't think Stanley wrote any material for TIP TOP COMICS. Every issue I've seen has been so terrible that I wrote the entire book off.

This must have been the one Stanley piece that ran in the comic book. It was utter swill otherwise.

Thanks for bringing this to light!