Translate

Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Number 1415: Frankenstein the sorcerer’s apprentice

This is the third post of our “Comical Comics” theme week.

This witty tale from our old Frankenfavorite, Dick Briefer, is from Frankenstein #6 (1947). Frankenstein has a magic word, a la the story of the sorcerer’s apprentice, and uses it not for brooms, but for cars. New cars were still in short supply that year. Auto production had been suspended during the war years, and manufacturing converted to war materiel. It was the dream of everyone, even my father, Big Pappy, to have a new car.  He owned a 1939 Ford when he married my mother in 1946. He finally got his new car, a 1948 Plymouth, in the fall of 1947. This story would have meant something to him.












3 comments:

BillyWitchDoctor said...

Ha ha! God, I love Briefer's Frankenstein stories so very much... My favorite bit in this story was the concert-goer's big reveal as a spider-man. Delightful!

BlUsKrEEm said...

Frankenstein(the Merry Monster incarnation) has to be in my top five favorite books of all time.

Pappy said...

Billy, BlUsKrEEm...I agree. Briefer's Frankenstein stories are favorites of mine, too.