Translate

Monday, March 17, 2014

Number 1543: Not so smart Cookie gives up on girls!

Ha! This story reminds me of a time in the mid-‘90s, finding my teenage son’s stash of Playboy magazines, and the nice afternoon I had going through them. Cookie’s pop in this story is as interested in his son’s pin-up collection as I was in mine. It’s nice when a father and son share a hobby.

But Cookie says he is through with women. Ha! again.

This is at least the second story I’ve shown where Cookie dresses up like a girl. I...er...uh...have no explanation for that.

Art by Dan Gordon (who sometimes signed his work “dang”). It’s from Cookie #14 (1948):














**********

Another story of Cookie dressing like a girl. Click on the thumbnail.




2 comments:

THE APOCOLYTE said...

Great post, Pappy! I'm a big fan of Dan Gordon and the Cookie comics, in fact I've been planning on posting some "Cookie" on my own blog for a while, and in fact I was going through my Cookie comics just a few hours ago! Ain't life funny?! Well, I'll just make sure I don't duplicate your posts, there's plenty of good stories!

I like how the undercurrent of the story is sex (albeit Golden Age subliminally repressed versions) and also enjoyed the Father's interest in the pin-ups!

GCD lists Gordon's comic career as relatively short - from early 40's to early 50's...any idea what ever happened to him?

Pappy said...

Apocolyte, Wikipedia (the Internet Junior Woodchuck Guide to Inexhaustible Knowledge) says Gordon went back to animation with MGM, then to Hanna-Barbera, where he worked on the very early cartoons, Huckleberry Hound, etc. According to the article, Joe Barbera also gave Gordon credit for the look of the Flintstones. Gordon worked for H-B until his death in 1969.