Translate

Friday, March 29, 2013

Number 1340: That '70s show!

Here at Pappy's Golden Age we are usually stuck in the 1940s and '50s, and so I’m going to the Pappy closet. I'm putting on a polyester shirt, some bell bottom jeans, my platform shoes and I’m dusting off the disco ball for a journey to the future...to 1975, and the short-lived Atlas Comics line. You may remember when Marvel Comics founder Martin Goodman created a rival comic book company, threw a bunch of comics onto the stands and was out of business in a very short time.

Among his publications was Weird Tales of the Macabre, which was part of the big black and white explosion of the era. I’m showing two stories from this issue by two cartoonists who had different approaches, but whose work in black line looked great: Pat Boyette, whose work appeared mainly in Charlton comics, and John Severin, who worked a lot for Marvel and was a regular at Cracked. I thought it appropriate that the issue the Severin story appeared in also had an ad for monster model kits.

From Weird Tales of the Macabre #2 (final issue), 1975:

















1 comment:

M. Bouffant said...

I dunno if "appropriate" is the right word; the Severin story seems like an early example of product placement, or even an "advertorial."