Translate

Monday, May 20, 2019

Number 2340: The eyes have it


My jaw dropped to my desktop when I saw the cover of Captain Marvel Jr #115 (1952). Good thing I have a beard to cushion the impact. As we have seen before, Fawcett used horror for some of the Marvel Family titles, seeing as how horror comics were the big sellers in that period. The illustration by Bud Thompson is a good example of what Dr Fredric Wertham, M.D. in his 1954 book, Seduction of the Innocent, called the injury to the eye motif. In this era of graphic horror movies this cover does not seem as shocking today as it probably was to readers in 1952. What I can say about it now, decades later, is it is one that Dr Wertham missed.


Graphic eyeball violence notwithstanding, I like the story. “The Thousand Eyed Idol of Doom,” is credited to artist Bud Thompson, and script by William Woolfolk, according to the Grand Comics Database. Oh yeah, and flying eyeballs are the flying saucers!







The most famous of the “injury to the eye” examples, found in SOTI, and the story it came from. Just click on the thumbnail.


2 comments:

Rick said...

Well the folks at Mrs.Wagner's boardinghouse (and everyone else who attended Freddy's funeral) certainly didn't seem to be overly amazed at Freddy's resurrection. I know if someone I knew had been declared dead (and I'd seen the body with my own eyes) I'd be a lot more incredulous than simply offering to play checkers and eat more pie with him.

The splash panel is an even better example of the "injury to the eye" motif. Who knew eyeballs went "squish" when struck?

Pappy said...

Rick, here's a thought. Perhaps everyone in Freddie's social circle knows that Freddie is Captain Marvel Jr, but don't mention it because they don't wish to disappoint him. Except for the costume and lack of crutches he looks exactly like he does when he's being a newsboy.