Translate

Friday, February 14, 2014

Number 1525: Kissin' cop and fem photog find love amidst murder

Happy Valentine’s Day, Pappy readers! I may be a curmudgeon when it comes to hearts and flowers, but hearts and comics, that’s what I like.

On this love-ly day we have a story from a man’s point of view, in this case Detective Mike O'Rourke, who has a bad start to a relationship with news photographer Gay Kane. It is from such beginnings that true love eventually shows itself.

The story is from All True Romance #2 (1951), a comic unique in that all the stories are told from a man’s point of view. That doesn’t mean the women in the stories don’t win, just that the telling is in a form we usually don’t see in love comics.












**********

I showed another story from this love comic last June. Just click on the thumbnail:


5 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

This is a pretty bland story, the mystery is terrible, the romance boring (there's no third wheel!) and it's not even terribly misogynistic!

That said, artists, stop trying to draw guys with freckles. It looks like our hero took a round from a shotgun to his face!

Alicia American said...

HAPPITY VALANTINES DAY PAPPITY! XOXOXOXO Come share sum champeign w/me & Deb yo: http://ow.ly/tCIWD❤♥ OMG We luv u SO MUNCH PAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!! XOXOXOXOXO

Pappy said...

Jeez, Brian, I didn't write it, you know. And the freckles were probably the artist trying to draw Van Johnson.

Pappy said...

Alicia, went to the web site and Mrs. Pappy and I watched Lucy's webcast. Mrs. Pappy said I'm not allowed to drink champagne with attractive young women, so sorry, I won't be making it over for drinks and chat.

I hope you two had a nice Valentine's Day!

Mr. Cavin said...

I like the plucky relationship here, actually. I would have really dug seeing a Thin Man-esque series with these characters. Love that last panel on page ten when Gay Kane is telling Mike goodbye even while she's putting on her coat to tail him.

The art's solid but I thought the inking was particularly fine. Thanks Pappy!