Translate

Sunday, February 09, 2014

Number 1522: “And now, the Beatles!”

Incredible. It is fifty years ago today, Sunday, February 9, 1964, that my brother and I watched the American television debut of the Beatles. It seems incredible that it has been a half century, because unlike my brother and me the music has never grown old.

To commemorate that occasion I'm showing 20 pages from the Dell Giant, The Beatles, which came out during that giddy initial period of Beatlemania. The Beatles story is somewhat cleaned up (perfect for Joe Sinnott’s drawing), but yeah, yeah, yeah,  it is what we were being told about the group when the Beatles first came to the United States.





















7 comments:

Keir said...

Thank you especially for this!

Keir said...

The reference to Epstein being tempted as he saw the boys in their jeans reminds me of the Rutles...

Pappy said...

Ha, Keir! I remember that...their trousers were "rather tight."

Unknown said...

Not well-researched enough, since "P. S. I Love You" is the B-side of "Love Me Do", while "Please Please Me" is the followed-up single.

Foreign Character said...

Rivet counters everywhere ... it's just a comic ...

THE APOCOLYTE said...

Great post for the 50 year anniversary, Pappy! 50 years already? Interesting to see solid art by Sinnott, one of my favorite Atlas artists, since by this time he was more or less relegated to only inking Jack Kirby on FF, but he shows he still had the skills! This story had less of the hallmark square-jawed profiles that was prevalent in Sinnott's earlier work!

Pappy said...

Apocolyte, Sinnott was also doing solo work for Treasure Chest comics during the '60s.