Translate

Sunday, June 28, 2009


Number 548


Lee Elias' Green Lantern


Longtime comic artist Lee Elias drew every kind of comic book, including super heroes. I'm a fan of his Milton Caniff-styled artwork. Elias worked as Caniff's assistant for a time. The first time I saw his work was in the early '60s on Tommy Tomorrow for DC's Showcase. I searched out his earlier work, which included Black Cat for Harvey, a cute chick, Linda Turner, movie star by trade. Linda wore a mask and sexy costume for her alter-ego as a crime fighter.

This particular and un-sexy Green Lantern story, "Situation Wanted," is written by Robert Kanigher, penciled by Elias and inked by Bob Oksner.

I got this story circa 2003 from a DC fan web site; it's scanned from Comic Cavalcade #29, 1948. Comic Cavalcade was originally a DC anthology featuring stars like Wonder Woman, Flash and GL. If the original poster comes forward I'll give him credit.

Does anyone else find characters like Doiby Dickles completely obnoxious? Did kids of the era like this kind of comic relief? Ugh.
















4 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

Pappy: Yep, the fat, little, dopey sidekick - often ethnic or "street wise" - never fails to annoy. Examples are endless and I am sure you know them better than I. As much as I revere Eisner and the Spirit, his Ebony always felt like dead, unfunny weight to me. -- Mykal

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Yargh. Many a cover was spoiled with the inclusion of Doiby. Geez.

Unknown said...

Doiby Dickles was the Scrappy-Doo of his day, though not quite that bad.

H. S. Anderson said...

I have to say that I expected to dislike Doiby, but I find him surprisingly fun and stalwart for a comic relief sidekick. At least he is in the early days.