Translate

Sunday, March 11, 2012


Number 1120


Monsters from the deep freeze


It's number two of our week of monster stories.

Since comic books stories of the Golden Age were mostly "one and done," it's somewhat unusual, although not unheard of, to have a story "continued next issue." Ah, for that part of the Golden Age...if you missed an issue you weren't lost.

This Airboy adventure is part 1 of a two-part story, set in the frozen north. It's got a villain named Zzed and some monsters frozen in the ice. It's drawn by Ernie Schroeder, from Airboy Comics Volume 7 Number 4 (1950).

Come back tomorrow for part 2.
















We've had more Airboy stories on this blog, including one set in Paris and featuring Crabmen. If you like these monsters you'll probably like the Crabmen of Paris. I showed it in Pappy's #968.

5 comments:

Daniel [oeconomist.com] said...

youriUrgh! When will people understand the physics of floating ice? Floating ice displaces exactly the volume of water that it would be if melted. If melting the northern polar ice cap had any effect on sea levels, it would have to be indirect (changing the reflectivity of the Earth and the ocean currents).

HEH said...

I love Airboy comics. Thanks for posting this exciting 2-parter, Pappy! I'll be back for part two!

Pappy said...

I'll keep the light on for you, HEH.

100Aliases said...

Ooh, thanks! I've wanted to read this story for myself ever since I read about it in "The Comic Book Book".

Zzed DOES look a little bit like John Carradine.

Pappy said...

Aliases, I do favors for folks and the best part is I don't even know I'm doing them! Thanks for your thanks, my friend.