Translate

Friday, April 11, 2008


Number 289


Dan D.'s dumb blonde



"Stan and Dan," Stan Lee and Dan De Carlo, do some funny stuff with the radio/TV dumb blonde, Irma Peterson, in this issue of Atlas' My Friend Irma. It's a coverless copy, so I don't know the number, but it's from the early 1950s. The vaudeville-style jokes come fast, and De Carlo's artwork is always excellent.

The My Friend Irma radio and television series lasted several years, and featured Marie Wilson as Irma. There were even a couple of movie versions. You can read more about the series here.

I posted another story from this issue in Pappy's #138.







7 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

DeCarlo's work was a highlight of the comics industry back in those days.

Nice post, Pap. Two cartoony ones in a row .... and I'm not complaining at all.

Me likey!

Mr. Karswell said...

Nothing wrong with cartoony in my book either!

Rex Roca said...

I might just be slow but, what was everyone gathering around to look at in the second story?

Rex Roca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ger Apeldoorn said...

If you go to Atlas Tales and type in one of the job numbers of these stories... you'll see it is not listed there. If you look at the title run, you'll see that the closest job numbers listed is in the b-700 series, which makes these stories from My Friend Irma #27 or 28. As the normal monthly drop in job numbers was 200 around that point, I'd say #27 is the most likely.

The first gag about the 'taken' seat has been used by Stan in many forms, including one time on the cover of Irma #18! See for yourself here: http://www.atlastales.com/sI/2728

Pappy said...

Appreciate the comments, guys! Ger, thanks for the information on narrowing down the issue number. Atlas Tales is a great asset and does a fine job. Wish I'd known about it when I started this blog. As for Stan Lee re-using gags, most comic book writers were excellent recyclers.

The Vicar of VHS said...

Dumb blonde jokes have been around since Chaucer, apparently. :)

I wonder what kind of gags they would write for Al and Irma on their wedding night!