Translate

Friday, April 22, 2011


Number 934



Rio seems straight, with her seams straight


Señorita Rio, the lovely spy we love, is back. This time, according to the Grand Comics Database, drawn by comic book journeyman Maxwell Elkans and inked by either Elkans or George Evans (they use the ? after the name, so they aren't sure, but the inks look like Evans to me). The story is from Fight Comics #54, 1948.

We have featured Rio before, in Pappy's #682 and Pappy's #803.

I love Rio, who goes through this adventure while wearing a skirt with a hem that flutters about mid-thigh, high heels, and nylons. She is very talented: even while swimming she can keep the seams of her stockings straight. In this story she also wears those textured nylon "arm stockings," for lack of a better word. I don't know what they're called. They're sexy, though.

Fight Comics had two gorgeous stars, Tiger Girl and Rio, twice the bang for your comic book dime in the late 1940s.








5 comments:

HEH said...

Gorgeous!
Thanks for posting these stories! I plan to read them all on my spring break!

jhegenbe said...

oh yeah. Definately Evans, but not so sure who touched up the inks.

David Blaine Clemons said...

The "arm stockings" are called laced gauntlets, of all things. Don't ask how I know.

Darci said...

Pappy,
You're close in your term "arm stockings". They're "arm warmers" or "arm gloves", described as 'knitted sleeves'.
Hope this helps,
Darci

Pappy said...

Darci and debclemons, thanks for the information. I like all of the names you provide, with "arm gloves," and "laced gauntlets" my faves.

I don't always know the nomenclature for women's garments, I just know what I like.