Translate

Wednesday, July 14, 2010




Number 772


"B" is for...Bill Ely's House of Secrets



The next to last in Pappy's lame-o Plan B theme this week. Check out Sunday's blog.

Longtime comic artist Bill Ely did these well-drawn stories for DC's House of Secrets in the late 1950s. I've shown art by Ely before, a cartoonist from the earliest days of the comics, who did a lot of work for DC in the days when artists were more anonymous. After looking at his work for a while I've noticed the way he drew eyes, and mentioned before they remind me of eyes drawn by the better known George Evans.

Ely was a true professional. I first noticed his work in the 1960s. Unlike most of DC's artists of the '60s, before credits in comics became common, Ely signed a lot of his stories.

"The 20th Century Nero" is from HOS #5, July-August, 1957; "The Diamond Hands Of the Sun God" is from HOS #8, January-February, 1958; "The Face In the Mist" is from HOS #13, October, 1958.

Here's more Ely, from Pappy's #695.



















1 comment:

Pappy said...

Hey, boils and ghouls, I accidentally deleted a comment by Anisa when I went to delete the Chinese spammer who keeps infecting this blog. (Do not click on anything that looks like dots or boxes.)

To Anisa, my apologies. You said some of my links were broken, and I'd appreciate you writing back and telling me which links.