Translate

Friday, October 03, 2008


Number 389


Man in the macabre mirror


Hey, remember that song by Michael Jackson, "Man in the Mirror"? I'm sure when Michael Jackson looks in the mirror at his reflection he sees something almost as macabre as famed actor Willis Kane sees in this story from The Beyond #11. I like this story. I like that Willis fulfills Pappy's First Law of Horror Comics: "The main character shall be as unpleasant and unredeemable as possible," so that his punishment will be all the more justified and severe. I like the artwork by Lou Cameron. I even like the swiped EC Ghoulunatic who sells the mirror to Willis.

Me, I've been sneaking up on my mirror for years, watching myself get old. Now that's scary.

Karswell tells me that soon he'll be running more horror comics from Ace in The Horrors Of It All. Watch for them.








3 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

I don't know how they managed to frame that top panel on page four without a glimpse of the artist. Some kind of fifties comic manipulation software?

I love the next panel over, too: Willis fast asleep with his bottle on the pillow beside him. It's either priceless, sweaty noir or country & western. Either way, it's awesome. Thanks Pappy!

Pappy said...

"Priceless, sweaty noir."

That's a description I'm going to have to remember and swipe from you at some point in the future. Thanks, Mr. C.

Mr. Karswell said...

"Priceless, sweaty country and western" sounds like a nice fit aorundabouts where I live.

So many great and unidentifiable ACE artists. Whoever did the job on this one is/was quite a talent.

Did I forget to link you on this one? I got no brain lately...