Translate

Friday, August 17, 2012

Number 1211: Witches Kill At Daylight

Joe Kubert, who recently died,was born September 18, 1926. He drew this story when he was 17-years-old. I asked this question before of another story Joe drew in his teens: "What were you doing when you were that age?" Unlike Joe, I was more interested in my social life than developing a craft that would serve me all the rest of my working life.

Joe was mentored by top professionals and became a top professional who mentored. Here's a well-illustrated article from the L.A. Times about Kubert's career.

I have shown this story before, and it's another of my re-scans and re-presentations. This time I'm including scans from Heritage Auctions I found of four of the six pages of "Witches Kill At Daylight."

There's not a lot more I can add to the tributes that have poured in from fans worldwide since Joe's death. All I can do is show his work, and that speaks volumes of how great he was.

From Harvey Comics' All New Comics #10 (1944):











5 comments:

Kirk said...

Had no idea Kubert was published at such a young age. Amazing.

Mr. Karswell said...

Sweet tribute, Pap!

Pappy said...

Kirk, Kubert started hanging around the Chesler comic art shop when he was just 13 years old, doing odd jobs, and learning from the pros.

Pappy said...

Thanks, Karswell.

serloren said...

Just goes to show what effect solid mentoring can have in developing a talent. Kubert was a far better illustrator at only 17 than I've yet become at 50. :-)

Grateful that he left us such a large volume of work to enjoy.