Translate

Monday, September 07, 2020

Number 2449: Never ignore’a Namora

As I announced in my previous posting, Pappy’s Golden Age has gone to a two-a-week schedule, on Monday and Wednesday. And (mostly) there will be not as much to read in one sitting as you have done this past summer. Since 2020 has been the most unusual year many us have lived through, I am doing it mainly because I have opted to stay home and try my damnedest not to get sick. Mrs Pappy has done the same, so I have a live person and a cat to talk to. So far so good. Mrs Pappy is not acting like she wants to kill me...yet. The cat may be currently plotting murder, though.

Our first post under the two-a-week schedule is from Namora #1, a Marvel Comic from 1948. Two of the three stories from the issue are by Bill Everett.

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed one of Namora’s superpowers. It is to come out the water with her hair looking dry and styled.

Namora did not last long in the '40s; after three issues of her own title, and some appearances elsewhere, she disappeared until the '50s revival of Sub-Mariner.

This story has some Asian characters that some may find offensive. I have decided to show it, anyway, with this heads-up on racial caricatures.










3 comments:

Daniel [oeconomist.com] said...

Your cat knows that you are made of meat.

How was it that Namora had the strength to pull a ship to shore in a storm, yet could be knocked back as she was by Paul West and later punched and wrestled to defeat by just West and two thugs? (I also have my doubts about her leaving Allen tied-up until she'd apprehended West and returned to the ship.)

The art is nice enough, but not Everett's slickest work from the late '40s.

Crios said...

But where do you find this fabulous old comics?

Arben said...

I half-expected Triangle-Headed Bad Guy to rip off his mustache and turn out to be Namor undercover. Maybe he was a pale-faced relative of Sinestro exiled to Earth instead...