Translate

Friday, December 26, 2014

Number 1675: Morning after the day...

Happy Boxing Day. Or, since we don’t observe that holiday as our fellow English-speaking nations do, we just call it Another Damn Shopping Day. This is the day people head to stores to pick up bargain rolls of wrapping paper and Christmas decorations. If they are like me, by next Christmas they will have forgotten they bought it and go buy new stuff instead. So much for bargains.

But today at Pappy’s we celebrate the day after with some fine original art, originally posted at Heritage Auctions, and re-sized to make it more convenient for downloading or reading. First up, “‘Twas the Morning After...” drawn and written by Sheldon Mayer, and inked by Tenny Henson was published in DC’s Limited Collector’s Edition #C-50, in 1976.

Next a cover from another Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer special from 1978, also drawn by S.M.

The fine scanning is done by the folks at Heritage Auctions. A big thank you to them.









UPDATE December 26...A couple of readers wanted to see how to make a floor yo-yo, as promised by Rudy on the last page of originals. Always happy to accommodate. I went to my Big Box of treasury-sized comics, and here are the plans.
And now back to our regularly scheduled posting:


Finally, I believe this Mayer story, penciled and inked (and presumably written) by S.M. is unpublished based on the lettering not being inked. It is said to be from Plop!, and while “Gregor’s Grisly Grotto” does not have a Christmas theme, it is an extra present to all of us from the old master.




6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I thought Rudy was gonna show us how to make the floor yo-yo! What a gyp!
Anyway, cute stories, Pappy. Hope you had a nice Christmas Day.

Anonymous said...

But how do we make the yo-yo?

J_D_La_Rue_67 said...

I'm not familiar with these characters, but the second story is just my cup of tea (or my Jekyll' n Hyde special).
I can believe it's from "Plop!" judging by the smart use of the word... "plop"...
Great post, love horror themed funnies, and love comics' original art (almost any) for it shows creative process. Had I the Greens, I'd paper my whole place with many artists, from Geo Mc Manus to Gene Colan.
Oh well...

Pappy said...

Okay, for you dissatisfied readers, I posted the floor yo-yo plans right under the Rudolph story.

So Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Pap!

vwstieber said...

Man, does Rudy bring back childhood Christmas memories. I still have my Rudolph Treasuries :) Thanks so much !!!