Translate

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Number 2299: Advice for a woman in love: lead with your left

Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, so it is a good time for a love story. First, I love Bill Everett’s artwork on “When a Woman Fights Back.” Everett was one of the best artists in comics, yet I think this is the first love story by him I have seen. For me it is a Valentine’s box of chocolates and Valentine card from my sweetie, all rolled into one.

Being a love story means there is drama: Florrie loses her boyfriend, Ray, to the rich girl, Gloria Dane. Ray is on a success track with her father and cannot refuse her blatant advances. You can see his distress when Gloria tells him she has excellent taste...especially in men! (Last panel, page 3.) Had I been in Ray’s shoes I would have wondered how many she means by using the plural “men.” Florrie’s dad, who has raised her since his wife died in childbirth, is comfortable enough to sit on Florrie’s bed while she sits at her dressing table half dressed. He gives her advice that she should fight for her man. By that he means fight in the boxing sense, and in a public assault Florrie does. I wonder what Florrie would be capable of after she got away with it? Next time shoot her rival...? The story does not extend that far, ending as it does on a happy note of love for the young couple.

This hard-hitting story is from Love Tales #50 (1952).








3 comments:

Darci said...

It seems that both girls were brought up without mothers. Is the difference that one is rich and the other is not, or is it that Gloria was spoiled by her father while Florrie was brought up right by Aunt Ellen?

What is Florrie going to say the next time Ray says he has to stay out late with a client?

I'm not thrilled by Mr. Dane's decision that it's OK to assault his daughter, she "had it coming".

Brian Barnes said...

Another story that revolves on people not talking. Why didn't Ray just tell Florrie what he was up to? This whole business could have been avoided!

Great art, and other than the old saw of nobody talking, an actual pretty good romance comic. Everett could just do anything, couldn't he?

randygrf said...

I haven't read much in the way of romance comics, so I appreciate your posting this one. Plus the two volume Everett Archives by Bell only includes one romance story. That one's OK, but I like this one better! Plus I appreciate your pithy comments about page 3 & 5, and the new Florrie.