Translate

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Number 2262: Rex King in a war zone: Batman mask and private jeep

Tomorrow we have our annual Thanksgiving Turkey Awards presentation, but today’s story led the way for the award until I found the ultimate winner. (Come back tomorrow to see.)

Rex King was a character who kicked around in Street and Smith-published comic books, Super-Magician, Supersnipe, and Red Dragon Comics, for a total of 10 appearances between the three publications. This story comes from Supersnipe Comics #7 (actually issue #2, 1943). Today’s story has Rex traveling in his jeep and getting one-up on the enemy. I think the enemy would see him a mile away with his bright shirt and bare legs. Wouldn’t he look out of place in a combat situation? The story is credited to Jack Binder and Curly Binder. Curly is actually Otto Binder, and maybe he could do something with the situation, explaining why Rex is in disguise but uses his real name. At one point late in his career Rex became Black Fury and then took off his mask. I wonder if someone pointed out that Rex’s mask looked like Batman’s.







2 comments:

Darci said...

For the next (and last) story in Red Dragon #8, the GCD lists "Curley" is Michael Binder?

Pappy said...

Darci, Michael is a new name to me, and I don't find it in a biographical search for Otto Binder. I did find out that Otto was the youngest of six Binder children, so Michael was probably an older brother.

I assumed it was Otto because Otto and Jack were the only Binders I knew of in the comic book business. I stand by Otto as author until I find out more about Michael and whether he got into comics at some point.