Translate

Friday, April 29, 2011


Number 938


...and featuring Sonny Bono as Burt the ghostly ex-lover...


Looking at this story makes me realize how long ago 1973 really was, and yet seems so recent, still vivid to me. Maybe it was the sideburns or the turtleneck sweaters, maybe the bell bottom trousers, the wide lapels...man, have we ever approached the coolness of that time since? (That's a joke, son...)

Frank Bolle, the artist on this story for issue #2 of Charlton's Haunted Love, had the look of 1973 down well. Bolle had a clean ink line, and looked like he drew from photographs. The audience for whom the comic was intended, mostly pre-teen or teenage girls, wouldn't be fooled if he had faked it. I wasn't part of the intended readership, but Haunted Love was one of my guilty pleasures in 1973. I was so embarrassed about buying any comic book with "love" in the title that I always hid it in the middle of the stack of comics I bought.

Bolle was born in 1924, and his work pops up many places over several decades of the history of comics. He has his own website, if you want to see other illustrative work he's done. The story is written by Charlton scripter Joe Gill.
















7 comments:

Tamfos said...

Pap,

Can I just tell you how cool it is that you're featuring the work of Frank Bolle here? You're the best.

Pappy said...

Tamfos, it's cool that there are Frank Bolle fans out there looking in. Thanks to you for the comment.

borky said...

Pappy: "this story makes me realize how long ago 1973 really was, and yet seems so recent, still vivid to me. Maybe it was the sideburns or the turtleneck sweaters, maybe the bell bottom trousers, the wide lapels...man".

Ooh, Pappy, you sound almost like you're staring directly into the mirror of yesteryear!

If I was any good at Photoshopping I'd be tempted to paste some John Lennon granny specs on you alongside some sideburns and a turtleneck just to catch a glimpse of the sharp dressing '70s ladies' man who sounds like he's still hustling to get out o' you!

Pappy: "Haunted Love was one of my guilty pleasures in 1973. I was so embarrassed about buying any comic book with "love" in the title that I always hid it in the middle of the stack of comics I bought."

SNAP!

borky said...

p.s.

Am I imagining it, though, or does the blonde guy - Arthur - look a bit Wayne Howard-ie on page 1 and in panel 3, pg.2?

rnigma said...

Yeah, and he is still keeping busy, drawing the Apartment 3-G strip.

Pappy said...

rnigma, thanks for the info on Apartment 3-G. I haven't seen that strip since it was done by Alex Kotzky. It's nice to know Bolle is still active.

Pappy said...

The mirror of yesteryear, Borky, is in storage right now. I should take it out, because the modern mirror is too scary. I have to turn off the lights and sneak up on it in the morning. I stumbled half-asleep into the bathroom one morning, looked into the mirror and shouted to my wife, "Honey, there's some old bastard standing on the other side of the sink!"