Translate

Sunday, July 18, 2010


Number 774


Ritzy Fritzi


August 10 is the publication date for another of Craig Yoe's great books, this time a compilation of Ernie Bushmiller's Fritzi Ritz. Fritzi is aunt to Nancy, who was introduced into the strip and eventually took it over. Not in my heart, though. For me, it's all about Fritzi.

Despite my love for the girl, I only have a couple of all-Fritzi comics in my collection, including this raggedy United Comics #13, from 1950. These are the Fritzi strips from that issue. Cartoonist Ernie Bushmiller didn't do much intellectualizing when it came to humor. It's all out there for easy reading and getting the joke. His jokes are full of pretty girls, dumb guys, cornball domestic situations, yet it all works, and he did it for decades.

I did a posting of classic Fritzi covers in Pappy's #115, April 2007.




















**********

Consider Fritzi's niece, Nancy, who has been 8-years-old since World War II! No wonder she's frustrated. Nancy is a woman in a child's body, never allowed to come out.




6 comments:

Unca Jeffy said...

Nancy has so much more dimension now that you've pointed this out, Pappy.

I feel someone needs to bring the woman in Nancy out...and Sluggo is apparently under-qualified.

Mykal Banta said...

Pappy: I'm a huge Bushmiller fan, and I have to admit to quit the lust for Fritzi Ritz. I have a couple of Fritzi comics myself. Your post has inspired me to yank it out and post it up (in a manner of speaking)!

Pappy said...

Fritzi put the "bush" in Bushmiller.

Gee, did I really say that? I did. Shame on me. Tsk tsk.

Mykal Banta said...

You did not say that! (snicker).

Myrrpage said...

Phil Fumble as Everyman. When will my Frtzi Ritz arrive?

By the way Jeff, Sluggo makes Nancy's hair stand on end.

Mykal Banta said...

Mrrpage: Ha Ha! Sluggo's the man!