Translate

Friday, October 30, 2009


Number 619


The Spirit of horror comics


Halloween is tomorrow. Usually Will Eisner did a Halloween story with the Spirit every year, but while this 1950 Spirit episode isn't a Halloween story, per se, it is about a guy drawing a horror comic and the Spirit shows up in the last couple of panels. That's close enough for Pappy's.

I scanned it from a British fanzine, Comic Media #10, published in 1973.

(I wonder if this story with its onomatopoeia influenced Harvey Kurtzman to write the Wally Wood story, "Sound Effects," in Mad #20?)

Tomorrow I come back with a special Saturday posting, three horror stories for Halloween!














1 comment:

Mykal Banta said...

Pappy: Eisner is my all time favorite. Every panel worth looking at, and the style so perfect and relaxed. He could do everything, simple as that. I even love his lettering. The eye just moves right along the page on its own in with Eisner's work. I'm gushing now, so I'll stop. -- Mykal