Translate

Friday, October 23, 2009


Number 615


The birth after death stories


In May of this year Karswell of The Horrors Of It All showed us a story from a 1953 issue of Black Magic about the circumstances of the birth of Sir Walter Scott. I'll link you to it after you've read the version of the story from Harvey Comics' Ripley's Believe It Or Not #4, 1954.

According to the story behind the story, writer Jack Oleck borrowed from himself, penning both the Black Magic and Ripley's stories. It happens...a guy is on a tight deadline, he's straining for ideas, and why not use this one? After all, the guys who publish and edit Harvey Comics didn't look at Prize Comics' products...but the readers did.







Now check out the Simon and Kirby version of this story from The Horrors Of It All.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I always loved when comic books would put a "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" panel in the back. I've always enjoyed unusual stuff.

Mr. Karswell said...

Sorry I missed this when you posted it last week Pappy (day after my car accident though so please forgive!) and I think I acutally like this version better than the Kirby version I posted too!